Today we are giving you a list of different names of measuring tools and their uses. In exams like UPSC, SSC and Railways, questions are often asked from this topic. Like they will ask you, what Barometer measures and you will be given four options just like this a) measures electrical current b) measures heart movements c) measures atmospheric pressure d) measures depth of ocean. And if you have no idea about these measuring equipment then you will be in a big trouble. So why not you go through this quick list of these tools. If you want to download it in PDF format then download the whole article from a pdf downloadable link given at the bottom.
So here is the list of measuring tools and their uses
1. Aerometer : Instrument for measuring weight and density of air and gases.
2. Altimeter :Instrument used in aircraft to measure altitude.
3. Ammeter :Instrument used to measure electrical current flowing in a circuit.
4. Anemometer: Instrument to measure the force and velocity of wind.
5. Audiometer :Instrument to measure intensity of sound.
6. Barometer :Instrument used to measure the atmospheric pressure.
7. Calorimeter : Instrument used for measuring quantities of heat.
8. Cardiogram :A medical instrument for tracing heart movements.
9. Crescograph : Instrument for use in recording growth of plants.
10. Dynamo :Instrument for transforming mechanical energy into electrical energy.
11. Fathometer : Instrument used for measuring depth of the ocean.
12. Geiger Counter : Instrument for recording the amount of radiation emitted by a source of radio-activity.
13. Hydrometer :Instrument used for measuring the specific gravity of liquids
14. Hydrophone :Instrument used for recording sound under water
15. Hygrometer :Instrument for measuring the amount of water vapours (humidity) in the atmosphere.
16. Kymograph : Instrument used to record graphically various physiological movements i.e.,blood pressure,heart beating, study of lungs etc. in living beings.
17. Lactometer : Aparatus used for measuring the purity of milk.
18. Manometer : Apparatus used for determining the pressure of a gas.
19. Odometer : Instrument by which the distance covered by wheeled vehicles is recorded.
20. Oscillograph : Instrument for recording electrical or mechanical vibrations.
21. Photometer : Apparatus used to compare the illuminating power of two sources of light.
22. Pyrometer : Instrument for recording high temperatures froma great distance.
23. Radiometer : Instrument for measuring the emission of radiant energy.
24. Rain gauge : Apparatus for recording of rainfall at a particular piece.
25. Refractometer : Instrument to measure refractive indices.
26. Saccharimeter : Instrument for determining the amount of sugar in a solution.
27. Sextant : An optical instrument used for finding out the altitude of celestial bodies and their angular distances.
28. Sphygmomanometer : Instrument used for measuring arterial bolld- pressure.
29. Spherometer : Instrument for measuring curvature of surfaces.
30. Seismograph : Instrument used for recording earthquake shocks.
31. Tachometer : Instrument for determining speeds of aeroplanes and motor boats.
32. Thermostat : Instrument used to regulate the temperature to a particular degree.
33. Transformer : An electrical apparatus used to convert high voltage to low and vice versa