World Environment Day is observed every year on June 5 to raise awareness of environmental issues and concerns such as marine pollution, global warming, wildlife crimes.
Theme of World Environment Day 2016 was “Go Wild for Life”
The UN official underlined that the effects of wildlife trade include the destruction of natural capital in which many nations could build healthy tourism industries; the spread of corruption and the undermining of the rule of law all around the world; and the “fattening of purses” of the international crime syndicates.
One nation hosts World Environment Day every year, and in 2016 that country is Angola, a country seeking to restore its elephant herds, conserve Africa’s biodiversity-rich wildlife, and safeguard the environment.
Little about World Environment Day
1. The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) runs it.
2. Its official name is UN World Environment Day.
3. World Environment Day was founded in 1974 and has since expanded.
4. Since it began in 1974, it has grown to become a global platform for public outreach that is widely celebrated in over 100 countries.
5. It encourages action among folks worldwide, the World Environment Day (WED) site calls it “the ‘people’s day’ for doing something to take care of the Earth or become an agent of change.
Our global food consumption is already 150% the Earth’s carrying capacity. If current population and consumption trends continue, humanity will need the equivalent of two Earths to support itself by 2030.