On 1st July 2016 Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari launched the National Green Highways Mission (NGHM) in New Delhi.Under this initiative, plantation drive on 1500 km of National Highways was launched at a cost of about 300 crore rupees. The mission also saw the launch of ‘Adopt a Green Highway’ Program. Apart from that ‘Kisan Harit Rajmarg Yojana’ was also launched on the occasion. This Yojana is a pilot scheme to extend green belt beyond the existing ‘Right of Way’ of highways by engaging farmers and providing alternative livelihood option to the nearby communities.
Green highway policy is launched recently by the government as a step ahead to secure the nature along with employment generation. The policy is all about planting trees along the highways to make them a way of supporting the plantation drive.
Features of National Green Highways Mission 2016
- The mission aims to provide a green canopy along 100,000km of highways and create jobs for 1 million youth.
- The government has made it mandatory to set aside 1% of the total project cost of any national highway contract to a Green Fund for plantation.
- Main motto of this mission is to help the environment, help local communities, and generate employment by planting trees along all the highways in the country.
- The National Forest Policy mandate is for a forest cover of 33 per cent of the country’s land area.
- Currently, only 22 per cent is covered by forests. This difference can be met only through the planting of trees outside the forest areas
The following MoUs were also signed on the occasion :
|Partnering Organizations||Length awarded for Green Highways Projects|
|NGHM-NHAI and Haryana Forest Department||418 Kms|
|NGHM-NHAI Andhra Pradesh Urban Greening and Beautification Corporation Ltd||360 Kms|
The Guidelines document, developed by National Green Highways Mission is in compliance to the directives of Green Highways Policy (GHP) 2015 issued by Ministry of Road Transport & Highways. The Vision Document of National Green Highways Mission will essentially define the approach National Green Highway Project intends to take for planning, implementation and monitoring of Green Highways Project.