India has been ranked 39th among the 138 countries in the 2016-17 Global Competitiveness Index (GCI). However, the index was released as part of the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Competitiveness Report for 2016-17.
Must Know Facts and Figures
• Here are the lists of Top 5 Countries: Switzerland (1st), Singapore (2nd), United States (3rd), Netherlands (4th) and Germany (5th).
• BRICS Countries: China (28th), Russia (43rd), South Africa (47th) and Brazil (81st).
• India’s competitiveness has improved across the board, particularly in innovation (29), goods market efficiency (60) and business sophistication (35) indicators of GCI.
The Global Competitiveness Report (GCR)
- The Global Competitiveness Report (GCR) is a yearly report published by the World Economic Forum.
- Since 2004, the Global Competitiveness Report ranks countries based on the Global Competitiveness Index.
- The GCI measures 12 pillars which include institutions, macro-economic environment, infrastructure, health and primary education, higher education and training, labour market efficiency, goods and market efficiency among others.
Click for All Current Affairs