Mumbai-based writer Jerry Pinto, Tamil author Vannadhasan, Hindi writer Nasira Sharma are among 24 others declared the winners of the Sahitya Akademi awards this year. Sharma’s Hindi novel Paarijat, Pinto’s Em and the Big Hoom and Vannadhasan’s Oru Sru Isai won them the literary honour.
Critically-acclaimed Mumbai-based writer Jerry Pinto is among the 24 authors named for the Sahitya Akademi Award 2016 for his book Em and the Big Hoom.
Tamil writer Vannadasan, who also writes poetry in the name of Kalyanji, and whose writings are shorn of negativism, has been selected for this year’s Sahitya Akademi award for his short story collection Oru Siru Isai.
The awards were given for books published during January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2014. The prize will include a casket containing an engraved copper-plaque, a shawl and a cheque of Rs 1 lakh.
About Sahiya Akademi Award
- The Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of Letters, is an organisation dedicated to the promotion of literature in the languages of India.
- Founded on 12 March 1954, it is supported by, though independent of, the Indian government and situated at Rabindra Bhavan near Mandi House in Delhi.
Can you solve this?
Sahitya Akademi Award:
- does not contain any monetary grant
- can be given only to persons with Indian nationality
- is given for outstanding original book written only in Indian language
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
First statement is incorrect because at present cash prize of Rs 1 lakh is given with awards. The award was first given in 1955, the Sahitya Akademi Award prizes to the most outstanding books of literary merit published in any of the major Indian languages recognised by the Academy. The amount given for the award is now Rs.1,00,000 with a citation.